Bryson and I were going to go up with Nic Thursday afternoon. He was one of the overnight priesthood leaders and then needed to bring the trailer home Friday. However, it had been extremely rainy and cold... too cold for Bryson to be spending the night in the outdoors. So Bry and I decided to go up during the day on Thursday. We went up with another leader, my friend Shanna and her baby. That 5 mile dirt road was now a muddy, sloppy, suck-you-in, slide-you-off type of road. We made it in fine but there were others who had to get towed out or who hiked in!
The day was fun although very rainy and very cold. I loved being there with "my girls" (that's what Hannah and I refer to them as). They are wonderful young women and I can't wait until next year when I can go the entire week. (I won't be pregnant or nursing! I'd better not be released!) In the afternoon we found out there were two trucks and trailers that had tried to come up the road and were now stuck and blocking the road! Nic would be coming up soon, so I called him to tell him to make sure he had chains and a couple pairs of shoes that he didn't mind getting really muddy. Several hours passed and no one was able to get up or down the road. Shanna and I were very worried about getting our babies home! It was too cold for them and we were not prepared to stay the night. There were others needing to get home and the bishopric was supposed to be coming up... And then we hear a truck... it's a big red truck... Nic! All the girls and leaders cheered! Then as Nic gets out of his truck, they burst into "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow." Corny, I know! But everyone's hope was restored! One of the trailers had moved over to the side enough that Nic was able to squeeze by, then he helped get the second one out. Nic was still worried about us going down that night. The road was awful and that one trailer was still in the way. Since we were going down hill, he was worried we may slide right into it. However, he said he'd follow us down.
A short time later, however; the Bishop was on his way up and was blocked! Not again! That one trailer had tried to get out and was now blocking the road entirely! Nic headed back down and about an hour later, here comes Nic pulling the truck that is pulling the trailer! And all of us cheered! Our hero!
Nic led Shanna and I down. (Shanna drove, which I was very grateful for.) The road was very slippery. Nic got out a couple of times to see if we were alright or to couch us along the way... as we went side ways down the road. Nic turned back after the worse part, but the rest of the way was much worse than we had thought. But after many silent and vocal prayers we made it home safely! We didn't return until about 11 pm, so Hannah got to have a sleepover at my parents.
The next morning all the girls and leaders, priesthood leaders, and Nic with truck and trailer made it home safe! There are several more stories that could be shared, this is merely a slice of all the excitement. The wet, cold weather and muddy, slippery road made for quite a memorable camp experience. But I am happy to report that camp was a huge success! Thanks to wonderful camp leaders, faithful young women leaders, stalwart and unselfish priesthood brethren, and of course the best young women ever! There were many heros. There always seems to be some kind of drama at camp: Get that many girls together, in that close of quarters, with little sleep and emotions are sure to flare up... However, this year there really wasn't any drama... except for the weather. And I'd take weather drama over girl drama any year! I wish I could have been there the whole time. I am grateful for a husband that is so willing to serve and help. It made me feel better that I wasn't able to be there, since he was such a huge service to the young women.
I love these girls. I am grateful for the opportunity to associate with them. There were several mini miracles as well as huge miracles that took place. I have a testimony of... CAMP!
(After all this, I don't even have a picture of Nic with his mud covered truck. He spend 3 hours cleaning it on Friday and is still finding mud!)


2 comments:
Yeah for Nic!! I look up to Nic, he is a great example to me. What a great man he is! Thanks for sharing those experiences. It is truly great to see the hand of the Lord.
Yeah for Nic the Hero!
Post a Comment