I have heard of "Hotdog Boats" for years now and finally made them last night. Take hotdogs, slice them long ways and cook them in a frying pan. Make garlic mashed potatoes. On a pan, top the open hot dogs with potatoes and shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. I know, RANDOM! Who ever heard of hotdogs and mashed potatoes together?! Nic and his siblings had them growing up. His mom must have made them up. She must have been a very creative woman... and had leftover mashed potatoes and hotdogs in the fridge?! So there you have it... HOTDOG BOATS!
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Hotdog Boats
I have heard of "Hotdog Boats" for years now and finally made them last night. Take hotdogs, slice them long ways and cook them in a frying pan. Make garlic mashed potatoes. On a pan, top the open hot dogs with potatoes and shredded cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. I know, RANDOM! Who ever heard of hotdogs and mashed potatoes together?! Nic and his siblings had them growing up. His mom must have made them up. She must have been a very creative woman... and had leftover mashed potatoes and hotdogs in the fridge?! So there you have it... HOTDOG BOATS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I can't believe you just made them for the first time! Did you like them? More importantly, did Hannah like them? I've made them once or twice since I've been married and I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan anymore. But we sure did love them when we were little! Glad Nic is passing on some of the family secrets.
I was going to ask you, Ash, if I made them right! Yes, my VERY first time. I've been pretty leary of them! I'm not a huge fan either. Its not gross, it just tastes like...well, hotdogs and mashed potatoes! I don't really thing they go together. But it was fun anyway. I think I'll make them again... sometime when I have leftover mashed potatoes and hotdogs already in the fridge. Hannah did seem to like it. She only ate half of one, but they are pretty big.
How funny. That does seem quite random, but innovative.
We had those all the time when we were growing up. But not garlic mashed potatoes, just regular. My mom said it was like french fries - without the skin! haha - I would make them, but I am married to someone who doesn't like potatoes.
Have you ever had pigs in a blanket? Wrap a biscuit around a hot dog and bake them. Those were always a favorite!
That's awesome! We are going to have to try it!
I have heard of them but haven't made them. I am not sure how my kids would do eating them. Stefani would eat the potatoes but not the hot dogs. I think the kids would think I am coocoo.
On the note about the pigs in a blanket. My kids love this. We put hot dogs in a pan and put a bisquick around them and bake it. Then you take some hot dog out with the bisquick and it looks like a bun. You dip in ketchup and mustard. Love those. Also, we have made hot dog butterflies. My kids loved those!
We would have them all the time when I was a kid. But we had regular potatoes, and had mustard inbetween the hot dog & potatoes. Pat actually asked for them a few weeks back, but we were out of hot dogs!!
And I agree with Molly about the pigs in a blanket. Just get a package of crescent rolls and the instructions are on it! My kids love 'em!
Post a Comment