CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Elementary School Debut

On Sunday morning, the day before school started, I hear Hannah in her room just after she had woken up, singing, "I'M SO EXCITED!"  I went in and asked her what she was so excited about... "Going to school!"

Oh, the hype of kindergarten and elementary school! Hannah was SO excited and SO ready she could hardly stand it! I am so glad to have her excited too; it makes it much easier to send her. I'm excited for her to learn and grow and the experiences she will have. This is the beginning of a long life of school for us at our house.

Eating her special french toast breakfast.
First day pictures.
Nic stayed home with the boys so I could focus and help Hannah... as well as take some photos! 
Here she is in front of her new school.
Walking down the hall to class.
Her class room door. They have a theme of road stuff (license plates, road signs, etc) in their class.
Placing her name on the board to indicate that she's there.
Putting her backpack in her own cubby.
Sitting down at her spot (her friend Judson is by her) and wondering when I am ever going to leave!
 
With her teacher, Mrs. Lyman!
I kept getting asked how I was doing with sending my little girl to school and if I was emotional about it. No, I was really doing just fine. It helps that she's ready and excited about it. However, as I walked out of the school leaving Hannah on her first day, someone from my ward asked me how I was. Good! I said, but as I said it I got kind of emotional, my eyes got watery and I had to keep my composure. Oh boy, my little girl is getting big!

It has now been over a month since Hannah's elementary debut. There are 6 spots at her table at school and all 6 are filled by kids in our ward! How amazing is that. There are only 4 girls in our ward that went to kindergarten this year (Ashley C, Eva D, Cami M and Hannah) and they are all in the same class and sit at the same table. (Hopefully Hannah will make some new friends too.) We all walked home from school together the first week, which was so fun. Starting elementary school has really started a whole new social relm for me! I see friends and ward members all the time.

Hannah, Eva D, and Ashley C. on our walk home from school. They loved picking flowers on our walks. I love their braids! No, it wasn't planned!
I was worried that it would be stressful having Hannah start kindergarten and having a newborn. And yes, there were a lot of extra things going on (registration, open house, assessment, etc). But I've been grateful for Nic's help and for carpool! We carpool with two ward friends (Ashley C and Judson P) and Nic has helped take in the mornings... so, so nice!

We are still trying to figure out a regular routine. We are usually pretty good to be ready in the morning so Hannah can get her reading done before school.  Hannah gets dressed, puts pjs away and makes her bed before breakfast. Then comes hair, potty, and teeth. We do Hannah's reading in the front room while we wait for carpool. After school we do homework and music practice... but we are still inconsistent about doing it right after school or lunch. And when do we do chores?! Any schedule suggestions?

Hannah was started on reading level C and has since been moved up to reading level E, which I feel like is good for her for now, but I hope she moves up again soon. She is a smart kiddo and I want her to be challenged. Life is busy, but I want to be involved as much as possible (while still being involved and giving time and attention to my boys!) I plan on going into Hannah's class once a month to help (thanks to a friend, Jennifer L, who I'm trading babysitting with). Education and parent involvement are so important and I am very excited about this new adventure for all of us!

3 comments:

Jennifer Lomenick

Love the blog post! Yea for Hannah! I am glad that she was and is still excited for school. Routines will come as you try different things at different times and figure out what works best for you. Good luck! Glad to help with babysitting, it helps me too!

Ashley

Hannah is growing up and is so sweet and so smart, because she is that way and because you are that way... A smart helpful mom. What do you do for music practice? How long does your morning routine with reading take? Sounds good!

be you blithe and bonny

I can hardly believe she in kindergarten - that means mine will be soon, too! I LOVE her teacher - I've had her three times & she is wonderful.