CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sulfur Creek

Youth Conference 2010
Rock Solid!

It has been nearly a month now and I am just now recouping from youth conference. Okay... not really, but I was extremely exhausted! Our entire youth group (ages 12-18) headed down to Capital Reef for 3 days. The first night we camped in tents. The next morning we went on an awesome 5 mile hike through Sulfur Creek (yes, through the creek). It was a long, hard and very fun 5 miles. The next night was spent at a motel (a surprise to the youth). Although it was a lot of work to camp just for one night, I was sure grateful for a shower! The youth were able to swim. We also went to a local church building for a testimony meeting.

Here are some of the highlights and a few of my favorite pictures. (Some of them are courtesy of a few other leaders.)

I didn't get a picture of my car load of youth. The youth rode in the same yehicles the entire time... and that was quite often. I really enjoyed getting to know the young men that were in my car and was grateful to have the Lukin girls too. They were a fun and active group!
Picture of our lunch stop on the way down:Camping, playing signs and our fabulous chefs: (I get to work with these fabulous women!)


The hike!

Respect, gratitude, trust, and a helping hand. The bishop talked a lot about having respect and gratitude, for our surrounds and for leaders, each other, etc. These things had a huge impact on the outcome of youth conference. I was also so impressed by the helping hands that were always offered by youth or a leader to help everyone get down a steep rock or climb down a bumpy path.There were a few waterfalls to slid down a long the way! Watching the youth, it looked painful, but I couldn't not do it! I was able to coax a couple other YW leaders to do it too! Then I climbed up to do it again! It was great!I had to tell my young women leaders thank you for being so fun! No matter how great our youth are, it would be super hard to be involved in activities such as these without great friends/leaders to be with! We had so much fun together... and I have to admit our tent was probably one of the noisier ones as we were rolling with laughter from one thing or another!(Notice all the water we are standing in! That's what almost the entire hike was like!)At the motel, playing missionary tag. I love this picture of a Mia Maid and a Beehive linking arms.I am so grateful for the Poulsen, called specifically to be over youth conference, the Swains and Parkinsons, for cooking, and our great bishopric. They made it much easier and less stressful for the rest of us leader. (A million thanks!) However, I could not believe how exhausted I was when we were done, not just physically, but emotionally too. It is a lot of work and a lot of pressure to feel (and be) responsible for this many young women... to make sure they are safe, not alone, included, know where they need to be and when, help them find their glasses and shoes, uplifting them spiritually, emotionally and physically. I do love these young women. I can't imagine how our Heavenly Father must feel each day as He watches over them and tries to help them to not be alone and feel loved, to know where they need to be, and to grow spiritually.

Our theme was Rock Solid Helaman 5:12! It was perfect. This experience helped the youth... and me be more rock solid and to gain a stronger testimony, unity, and appreciation for all we have!

6 comments:

rachaeljanae

That looks so fun! It makes me miss Utah. What a great little vacation for you.

Marcy

I have never slid down a waterfall--looks very fun. Your pictures bring back great memories of my own YW days. I'm so glad those young people have you and the other leaders--I'm sure you mean so much to them!

Ashley

You look like a super, cute, fun leader!

jacksonx03

FUn! We just had our youth conference too. Where did you guys hike?

Natalie

The hike was called Sulfur Creek at Capital Reef.

Sarah Coyne

Oh, this looks like a ton of fun (and work!!) I miss being in Young Women's!!!!! Now on to YW camp, right?