I choose to use this talk as a family home evening I would be giving to Nic's family. (We have FHE with them once a month. We all rotate teaching the lesson and use a recent conference talk.) As I studied the talk the only way I was able to really digest and understand it all was by making a chart, dividing "To Do" and "To Be." (I wondered if it would be kind of dorky to present it this way at FHE, but again, it was the only way I could really visualize the two concepts and explain them.)As I read and studied I had a renewed testimony of the Young Women's Personal Progress program. This program has the "to do list" (the experiences and projects) that help us with our "to be lists" (faith, divine nature, knowledge, good works, virtue...) Although I am no longer of young woman age and I did the program when I was younger (although it has changed quite a bit!), I am currently working on earning the Personal Progress medallion again. I love using it as my scripture study; I love using it to help me "become." It is a program that we can ALL participate in and accomplish no matter what stage of life we are in. It helps us progress personally! And isn't that what this life is all about!?!
Aside from this incite of the importance of Personal Progress, I also loved Elder Robbin's discussion on parenting: disciplining and praising, using these same concepts of "to do" and "to be." He said the words discipline and disciple come from the same root word. That through discipline our children learn consequences but they can also learn doctrine by the Spirit... that doctrine has the power to change their nature, their BE, over time. He said to focus our discipline and our praise on "be's" - on character and beliefs. For example when disciplining fighting or quarreling, talk about patience and being forgiving. When praising performance in sports, praise their energy and perseverance. When praising good grades, praise their diligence. Elder Robbins said we need to talk about attributes; they need to be taught and learned. But the most important way to teach to be is to be!I have much to learning about being, much to learn about becoming and therefore, doing. I have much to learn about parenting and disciplining and helping my children to become. I am so grateful for modern day prophets, apostles, and church leaders who help us in that journey.


3 comments:
Good thoughts, thanks for sharing. I bet everyone loved your insightful lesson. Ever since this talk I've been trying to be better at praising my kids the right way. It's tricky.
Fun to hear your insights on this talk. Thanks for sharing the FHE link on lds.org. I hadn't checked it out before and it is awesome!
You are amazing. Thanks for sharing your testimony and thoughts. That talk didn't hit me quite like it did with you but it is something I will go back and look more closely at now. Thanks for being who you are!
Post a Comment